How I lost RM 11,100 over a week

genting 1000 chip

A lone RM 1,000 chip

The Signs (TM) were all there. I lost my ATM card so I had to withdraw from my credit card instead. I went up with the sole intention of winning back my Auckland losses (RM 5,000). I was talking about chasing the dragon when I went up but my obstination made me go against it.

Anyway, let’s cut to Auckland Sky City Casino. I actually WON in New Zealand with a paltry NZD 2,000 buy in. I started REALLY badly and was down to about NZD 300 when I chased this Player dragon that netted me a cool NZD 2,100. There I was, with NZD 4,100 of chips which I cashed in and sat for 45 minutes drinking beer while waiting for my friend to finish her game.

auckland sky city casino

I’m not very good with waiting so in the end I started playing again. I was very, very drunk at that point and was just putting money on the Blackjack table, holding with a 6 and other stupid stuff like that. Not surprisingly I lost the NZD 2,100 plus my buy in of NZD 2,000. That’s about a RM 5,000 net loss (not factoring in the win, else it’ll be something close to RM 10,000).

Back to Genting, I just had an urge to head up this weekend, coz I had nothing to do. Thus, I headed up with RM 2,000 (with the intention of withdrawing an additional RM 4,000 from my credit card when I get into the International Room). We were staying in First World Hotel so against my better judgement, I went into that casino first.

There was a Banker dragon going on. I bet 1k on Player (against the dragon) and lost. I bet another 1k on Player (talk about obstinate!) and lost again. That’s the end of my RM 2,000 buy in so I had to head to the main casino. It didn’t help that the Banker dragon was broken RIGHT AFTER THAT with four Players in a row, which, if I had withdrew the cash first, would have made me win.

Thus, down by 2k, I went into the IR and withdrew RM 4,000 in 4 x RM 1,000 chips (shown in the first photo) and sat down on Elite Baccarat. I put 1k on Player as usual and won. However, in Elite Baccarat you have this option to switch and I accidentally switched (wanted to hold) and lost the 1k.

It was a series of unfortunate events which happened really rapidly after that. I was betting with my emotions instead of my analytical skillz. I went Player all the way. After a couple of wins and losses (got a natural 9 once, and a really lucky win of 3 vs 2).

However, at the end of it I was left with a sole 1k chip which I went to the toilet to take a photo of before heading back to the table. While I was away, Player won 3 times. >.<

I lost a total of RM 6,100 (RM 100 was a last ditch attempt for a comeback by putting it on the number 6 on Roulette) and now I have to eat Maggi Mee every single night to save up for my condo. T_T

Things you can buy with RM 11,100:

A nice bed for my new condo
A nice sofa for my new condo
A nice TV for new new condo

Experiences you can buy with RM 11,100:

A trip to pretty much anywhere in the world for a week if you’re careful with accomodation

However, I’m always prepared to lose my buy in when I come up to gamble but things would have worked out so differently if I just followed the Banker dragon in the first place. Oh well, I don’t complain when I win so I don’t complain when I lose too. πŸ™‚

It’s just life, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. My approach to betting is just too risky. A man beside me can absorb the losses coz he bets RM 100 – RM 200 each round. I don’t play for fun. I play to win so I reduce the times I have to play by betting high.

Anyway, I’m going to have to skip Subway and Dominos and cook 2 packets of Maggi with 2 eggs every night from now on. I’m NOT going up to Genting anymore until I purchase my condo.
action

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

53 thoughts on “How I lost RM 11,100 over a week”

1. ciki: Thanks ciki! T_T
    Oh well, you win, you lose. That’s life I guess. I’ll just have to eat instant noodles for dinner from now on…at least for 2 months. Haha! πŸ™‚
    Elsa: I think it’s called risk taking behavior, not bravery per se. πŸ˜‰
    No worries, I can actually “afford” to lose that in the sense that I’ve gotten that much from the casino (but spent most of it).
    I just need to save up coz buying a condo costs a lot of money. πŸ™‚
    eiling: Nice! How was it? I hear they play Chinese songs inside. πŸ™‚
    No worries, managable, managable, just need to save up a bit for my condo. πŸ™‚

2. KY: Haha! I don’t believe in that urban legend. I eat a lot and I still have all my hair! πŸ™‚
    debbie: Yeah, tell me about it Deb. T_T
    It’s all good though, in life, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. πŸ™‚

3. was gonna reply earlirer. but dont feel like the only one you are not perfect, nor am I. earlier this year, some some college friends wanted to come and stay and gamble for the week end at the cheokee casino. I begged off, and they went to atlantic city. Prior engagement, out of town, not a good time etc… you see… The real reason? I was scared. I can drink. and I can gamble. thou not so well. got that under control now, but not the two together. no way. so I avoided the temptatation.And its really not temptation. I give stuff away. generous, in fact, a paragon of virtue. right? wrong. Be carefull. My Dad and Mom tought me to help others, but you cannot do that unless you are a bit, well, not selfish, but you must have some in order to help others. unless you like living under bridges. but get rid of the credit cards, fast. they drag you down. you might keep one with a 500 usd limit, but just for car hotel rentals and such. for purposes of identification. only. and adjust your tastes. its really not bad. tonight I had about a half lb of hamburger, mashed up with a big can of beans, and rolled into two soft wheat tacos. with some chesse, (a tip, when you dont have any, you are not so picky). and some hot sauce. bannana and canned pinaple for desert with graham crackers or short bread. pretty nice. about 18 usd or more each, had we ate out, plus tip. actuall cost, about 3. and we all enjoyed. dont get caught up, my friend, true friends and family are the best. but I am twice as old as you and half a world away. do the best you can and laugh. there is a generation comming up behind you, ya know . and to them. you are a relic, an old fart. and that’s okay. but ditch the credit cards, HB, seriously, my friend. Tom .

4. tom: That sounds pretty good! Half a pound of burger meat cooked up and rolled into tacos. I’m going to try that someday. πŸ™‚
    Yeah, I understand where you’re coming from but I can’t ditch my credit cards since I use it while travelling and I don’t carry a lot of cash around with me.
    Cheers and take care my friend!
    Mike Yip: HAHA! This is the OPPOSITE of HUAT. This is more like SOI AH!!!! πŸ˜‰
    Simon Seow: Yeah, you can never beat the house. RM 11k? You can buy a sofa/couch set, a TV and a bed. πŸ™‚

5. annna: Oh well, I’ll just be careful with dinner from now on. Haha! I can save quite a bit if I:
    #1 Don’t drink at night (RM 50)
    #2 Don’t order Dominos (RM 50)
    πŸ™‚
    unkaleong: Yup, it was a good run while it lasted. =D
    If I had gone in just a bit later when I was done with everything perhaps things might have went differently but there is no “ifs” in Genting. πŸ™‚
    It’s all good.

6. Sorry to hear this. $11k is alot of money. You lose some, you win some. Did you forgot to bring Jerine, your ‘lucky charm’ with you?

7. Magnolia: Yeah, it is not an insignificant amount of loot. πŸ™‚
    Oh well.
    Yeah, Jerine was there. I think she secretly hates me now so I didn’t manage to win. T_T
    Kidding, kidding, she doesn’t have a card so she couldn’t go into the International Room. I went in alone. πŸ™‚
    chefmel: Haha! Yeah, those are my custom emoticons which I collect from various sources like Aud and Jestina. I like them a lot. πŸ™‚
    b: I did wear red undies when I went! IT’S A MISTAKE!!!11111
    The past few times when I won, I was wearing black, grey, anything but red. πŸ™‚
    Okay, no next time until I get my condo. Can’t afford to lose a five figure amount again.

8. suituapui: Yup! My tenancy agreement ends in October so I need to move in November. I want to get a new place, have saved up for it…now to find a suitable condo to move to. πŸ™‚

9. Go to win back previous losses is a sure fire way to lose.
    But yah lay off the gambling bro, no such thing as easy money πŸ™‚
    BTW if you want to move in November you need to buy by July/August as S+P takes around 3+1 months.

10. joanna: Haha! It’s taken in the toilet coz that’s the ONLY place you can take photos in Genting.
    Auckland Sky City Casino is different though – they let me bring my dSLR inside but no photos of the casino tables. Other areas okay. πŸ™‚
    ShaolinTiger: Indeed mate, I’ve done that in the past and it never works. πŸ™
    Yup, going to stop until I get my condo end of this year.
    Shit, it takes that long? I didn’t know that!
    Thanks for the tip mate, much appreciated. πŸ™‚

11. RM 11000, isn’t that a significant part of the average yearly income of engineers with a B.Sc. and a few years experience, in Malaysia?
    Good luck in counterbalancing this misfortune.

12. Jacklyn: No la! I don’t earn a lot. I just had a streak of luck with netted me a fair amount from Genting. However, I am 29 and obviously with my age, I’ll have a some savings (which I can’t touch e.g. FD, mutual funds) so that’s what’s funding my condo purchase. πŸ™‚
    It’s cheaper than renting at any rate. I’m paying 1.3k (not inclusive of the various fees the place chages) for a 500 square feet studio.
    flory: Heroin and Ecstasy? At 11? I take my hat off to you. I only started at 15 proper. *takes hat off* πŸ˜‰
    Negerkung: No, that’s impossible…that’s RM 900 plus per month, no engineer (not even blue collar workers) earn that little. πŸ™‚
    Thanks, I’ll manage…with ramen. Haha!

13. A few years ago when you were doing you know what,I wrote to you as I am sure many of your other readers did,to warn you that you are going down a very slippery path.
    I now have this same advice again.Even if you had won RM11000 this time you are still going down a very slippery slope.Gambling in a casino is a no no.You can never beat the odds in the long run.Wagering a few dollars occasionally in a casino for entertainment is perfectly fine but the level and intensity of your gambling is not.I really hope for your sake that you can stop.

14. 1.3k for 500 sq.foot, in KL? Wow In London you’d pay 4x that for 100 sq.foot in a very average part of town, and these days people aren’t even earning so much more than in Malaysia. How much could you you buy a condo for if you don’t mind me asking?
    Sorry, bit off topic there… DON’T GAMBLE!!!
    ..Too Much!

15. Hey HB, i was wondering if you ever calculate the total win/loss from casino since day one?(i know i do) If yes then how much? Last Sunday i went, buy in was rm5k. Had an interesting battle but the result -rm4k. Not really a huge amount but i blame it on the last 2 games when i get 8 twice but still lose and both bet was rm2k per hand. On my way to cash out chips i saw a long dragon so i throw all my leftovers at that table and won so still get rm1k. Imagine if i didn’t play at the last 2 games table and go cash out my chips earlier then i would definitely go home a winner. ζœ‰ζ—©ηŸ₯沑乞丐 right? hahaha…anyway 1k chip looks awesome!!!(rectangle shape???) never hold that before πŸ™‚

16. For me gambling is to purchase excitement.
    I would write off the money which i use to gamble even before losing. Less heartache plus i know when to stop. Well, if i were to win, then it would be a bonus!! LOL.
    Speaking of buying a condo, where will you be buying because i wanna get one too.
    But as economy recover this year, it’s getting more and more expansive.

17. no offense, but if my boyfriend or my husband actuallly lost RM11K on the gambling table, i would have circumsised him. erm, but tat’s just me πŸ™‚

18. dyson17: Thanks for the concern! Yeah, stopping now, my style of betting is just too risky. πŸ™‚
    xes: I totally agree bro! T_T
    Si: Really? Fresh grads get about 1.5k. That’s the amount I got as an Aussie grad when I started working in KL. πŸ™‚
    Jason Chow: Nice! Yeah, sometimes that’s the way it goes. One second too late, one second too soon.
    That’s the chips in the International Room, they have different colored chips from the public casino. You’ll need a Genting card to get in though but it’s a more chill environment. πŸ™‚
    Andie: I’m thinking PJ. Damansara area, or either around Tropicana City Mall. Bangsar is way to expensive for me and KL city proper would be even more expensive. πŸ™‚
    vun fung: Haha! I’m glad I’m not your bf then. πŸ˜‰
    I’m the only son, notchet a father, can’t be castrated. πŸ™‚
    Jenny: Yup, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I posted about a RM 19,000 cheque not too long ago, but of course that was not a net win. πŸ™
    Paul: Yeah, I need to find something to do during weekends to occupy myself. I only go up coz I have nothing better to do. πŸ™
    e: Haha! She was there, but not in the IR room coz she doesn’t have a Genting card. Oh well, it’s even odds, so 50:50. This time I’m 50 on the losing end. πŸ˜‰

19. “I’m NOT going up to Genting anymore until I purchase my condo.” – I’m wondering. Hmmm…
    Eh, I think you brushed your luck on me. I won RM275. Although very little money, but for a very bad luck person like me, it’s damn good man! I’m starting to feel that my luck is turning in.
    No need Maggi mee lah. RM275 I have can cook you dinner for the next two weeks.

20. Jason Chow: Nope, I don’t keep count but I KNOW I’m losing coz I lost a HUGE amount of money straight out of rehab. Cashed out my previous company’s stocks and went up to Genting with it all. Came down with only my pants and shirts. πŸ˜‰

21. Jason Chow: I can’t remember the exact amount since it was a while ago but about 50k – 60k or something to that effect? πŸ™

22. at least that makes me feel better already. first time i lost 10k buy in, tried so hard to win back all of them in few occasion. manatau 2nd time lose 18k buy in, now the casino still owes me 22k…hopefully can slowly withdraw back my money from casino lol. wish me luck πŸ™‚

23. Jason Chow: Heh! Sounds like a long battle bro. Good luck in the next one and may the God (of Gamblers) be with you. πŸ˜‰

24. i won’t go so far as to castrate my bf/husband la…..tat would mean i’d be depriving myself of certain things right? but circumsizing him though, tat’s a different story *wink*

25. foodcrazee: Heh! Indeed…it was an ego thing, was betting with my heart instead of my mind. πŸ™
    vun fung: HAHAHA! Okay, good one. πŸ™‚

26. Don’t bet against the DRAGON. That is my advise. I was a gambler once. I used to bet a lot on the 50-50 chance on both Roulette and Baccarat. My ‘evil’ dragons could be so long till the point that their odds became hugely improbable, yet still possible – remember the BLACK SWAN effect. I lost plenty because of that!
    You once mentioned: “30% is attributed to fate, 70% is from your own efforts – he who dares wins”. Examining your life experience, I would believe 100% is down to your fate, and therefore you should make 100% effort in trying to change your destiny for good.
    To back up my argument, I would recommend a reading. “The Key to Creating One’s Destiny – The Four Lessons of Liao-Fan”. If you couldn’t find a copy, just email me your address and I will do my best to send you a hard copy.
    A sixthseal follower – Putixing.

27. Puti Xing: Cheers for the tip mate! πŸ™‚
    Black swan? I’m not familiar with that term. What does it mean?
    Thanks for reading! Much appreciated Xing! πŸ™‚

28. Huai Bin,
    You’re welcome. Happy to share my past experience. From Wikipedia: Black Swan Events were described by Nassim Nicholas Taleb in his 2007 book, The Black Swan. Its explains the existence and occurrence of high-impact, hard-to-predict, and rare events that are beyond the realm of normal expectations.
    How to identify a black swan? 1. The event is a surprise (to the observer). 2. The event has a major impact. 3. After the fact, the event is rationalized by hindsight, as if it had been expected.
    Hope you understand my point – stay away from gambling (whatever kind) since you’ve already told us enough about your ‘good’ and bad experience associated with the betting game.