I get a lot of questions about what I’m doing right now. I’m actually a freelance writer. I do assignments for a wide range of publications around the world.
Now, this is all well and good, but as anyone can tell you, the tools of the trade for a writer is…
(No, not a notebook and a pencil, that was 20 years ago)
It’s a tablet.
However, I’ve always found tablets a bit clunky to carry around. I have to bring a special tote bag when I interview people and cover events and it’s just a bit too unwieldy. I need something a bit smaller and yet does everything a tablet can.
Thus, I’ve been eying the new Samsung GALAXY Note with a lot of interest. I have been hearing a lot of good things about the new it and the first thing that impressed me was the size:
It fits in your pocket! The same goes for all smartphones but what differentiates the Samsung GALAXY Note is the sheer size of the screen. It’s a 5.3-inch HD WXGA resolution (1,280×800) screen!
That makes it just about perfect for work – you can slip it inside your pocket but the screen is still large enough so you don’t have to squint whenever you type.
Samsung GALAXY Note full specifications:
- HSPA+ up to 21Mbps 850/900/1900/2100
- 4G LTE
- EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
- 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor
- 5.3” WXGA (1280 x 800) screen
- HD Super AMOLED
- Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Main(Rear) : 8 MP with LED Flash / Front : 2 MP
- Action Shot, Beauty, Panorama Shot, Smile Shot
- 1080p Full HD video recording & playback
- Recording: 1080p @ 24~30fps/
- Playback: 1080p @ 30fps
- Codec: MPEG4/ H.263/ H.264/ DivX, Xvid, WMV, VC-1
- Codec : MP3, AAC, AMR, WMA, WAV, FLAC, OGG
- Music Player with SoundAlive
- 3.5mm Ear Jack, Stereo FM Radio with RDS
- Full touch
- + S Pen (Advanced smart pen)
- Bluetooth® technology v 3.0 + HS
- USB 2.0 HOST
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Barometer, Light
- 16GB Internal memory
- + microSD (up to 32GB)
- 146.85 x 82.95 x 9.65 mm, 178g
The Samsung GALAXY Note is the most talked about Android phone on the market right about now. I can see how the Polaris Office works for me too:
It has the full range of features you’ll expect to find in an office productivity suite on the PC. It’s perfect for someone like me who writes for a living! It’s compatible with the Microsoft Office suite, has handwriting recognition and I can just send off articles to my editor right from the phone itself.
Also, for those moments when you feel a need to catch up with your friends on your social feed, there’s always the Social Hub and Reader Hub:
It’s perfection! The Samsung GALAXY Note is just the thing I need for my work (and play) – it’s not too big, not too small, and does everything I need it to.
This feature packed pocket tablet launched on 11/11/11 in Malaysia. I looked around and the retail price for it is RM 2,299. You can get it for cheaper if you sign up with one of the telcos.
I really love what the Samsung GALAXY Note has to offer. I wish I have one so I can carry a single device instead of a tablet and a smartphone. It has an awesome 8 MP camera too so it can probably replace your digicam for everyday use.